Garbage Collection: The ACUA collects household garbage five days per week, Monday through Friday. New Residents or those unsure of their collection day should call the ACUA at (609) 272-6950, or the Municipal Clerk’s Office, at (609)641-2832 ext. 125.
- Appropriate containers must be of galvanized or plastic composition, cannot exceed 40 gallons in capacity and be no heavier than 50 pounds when filled. Containers must have a lid or cover and two sturdy handles. A maximum of five (5) containers may be placed at the curb for collection. Plastic bags not less than two mils thick nor larger than 40 gallons may be used if properly tied.
- All approved containers must be placed at the curb where easily accessible. No containers shall be set out prior to 5:00 p.m. on the day prior to collection, and no later than 7:00 a.m. on the day of collection. Containers must be removed within 12 hours following collection.
- Collections are postponed on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Please check the Event Calendar of this website for details of a specific date. Collection changes can also be found on the ACUA website: www.acua.com.
Bulk Items: Any large, heavy and/or bulky household appliances, furniture and furnishings, which cannot easily and safely be placed in the common collection vehicles used for removal of solid waste within the City of Northfield.
- Household furniture will be accepted. Please contact the Municipal Clerk’s Office, at (609) 641-2832 ext. 125 to ensure that your particular item is among those that are acceptable.
- A Maximum of three (3) items of bulky trash may be placed out for each collection. The City of Northfield reserves the right to refuse excessively bulky or heavy items.
- Items such as refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners require a hazardous handling fee of $15 to be paid to the City of Northfield prior to collection. Fees must be paid in advance at the Municipal Clerk’s Office, 1600 Shore Road, Northfield between the hours of 9:00 am and 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Collected during the 1st FULL week of every month (see “Recyclable Metals”, below).
Construction Debris: Any scrap lumber, metal, earth, sand, bricks, block, tile, stone, plaster, sheetrock, piping, fencing, cabinets, doors, roofing and siding material, and other debris of a similar nature which is incidental to the construction or renovation of homes, buildings, businesses or other projects.
- Construction debris (e.g. interior doors, trim, sheet-rock, plumbing) is prohibited from being placed for collection or combined with other acceptable household refuse. Residents are responsible for disposal of these items.
- The following metal items are collected by Northfield Public Works
- Items such as bed frames and aluminum swing-set frames.
- Collected the 1st MONDAY of every month.
- Items should be placed at the curb along with your normal household garbage; other than items that contain FREON, no special arrangements are necessary.
- The following metal items are collected by the ACUA on your REGULAR RECYCLING COLLECTION DAY
- Aluminum, steel, or tin cans
- Empty paint cans (remove lid)
- Empty aerosol cans (remove cap)
Electronic Waste (E-Waste): Effective January 1, 2017, neither the ACUA nor Northfield Public Works collects or accepts electronics. For disposal options visit: www.acua.com/electronics
Yard Waste, Tree Clippings, etc.: Leaves, grass, lawn clippings, shrubbery clippings, tree trimmings and garden refuse are collected weekly. Use the link below to view schedule.
- All grass, weeds, lawn clippings, leaves, etc. must be in a container or bag so that can be readily emptied; maximum of 12 containers in any one day's collection.
- Hedge/shrubbery clippings, tree trimmings and garden refuse will be accepted only if securely tied in bundles not exceeding 36 inches in length and 24 inches in diameter. The total volume must not exceed 12 bundles in any one day's collection.
*The City of Northfield mandates the separation of Recyclable Materials. Questions regarding Common Recyclables (cans, plastic, paper, etc), and Construction Debris should be directed to the ACUA, (609) 272-6960. Helpful information is also available at www.acua.com The City of Northfield is not responsible for the collection of these items.
Frequently Asked Questions
When is my regular trash collection day?
Please see the map linked here of collection routes.
Click here for collection route map
What has to be recycled and how do I prepare these items for collection?
Information can be found in the City Code linked below.
Click here for more information.
What is my regular yard waste and or recycling collection day?
Click here for more information.